2018 Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild co-organized by ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA
September 26-28, 2018 Chicago, Illinois
The 2018 Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild, co-organized by ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA, will be held September 26-28, 2018 at the Hilton Chicago, Chicago, IL. It is the third co-organized conference between ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA.
The goal of this conference is to present the new techniques and workflows that will help researchers and practitioners make better decisions during the simulation and modeling process of an entire building life cycle.
The conference program will consist of Keynote Speakers, Invited Speakers, a Call for Papers, a Call for Presenters and the fourth ASHRAE LowDown Showdown. Special panels may be offered by industry leaders and organizations.
Call for Papers
ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA have announced a call for papers for the 2018 Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild, co-organized by ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA. It will be the third co-organized conference between the two organizations and will take place at the Hilton Chicago, September 26 – 28, 2018.
“Building performance modeling is transforming the industry to meet the net zero and Architecture 2030 design goals, improving operational efficiency and occupant comfort,” said Krishnan Gowri, conference chair. “Recent advancements in machine learning, data science and sensor technologies are opening up new avenues to advance the analysis and modeling techniques to meet the challenges faced by designers and modelers. This conference seeks to connect the researchers and industry practitioners to facilitate the adoption of these new techniques and workflows to make better decisions through the application of simulation and modeling over the entire building life cycle.”
Modelers, architects, software developers and researchers will address the practices of building performance analysis, energy modeling and building performance simulation using existing simulation tools, software development and future simulation research and applications.
The conference seeks papers on the following topics:
Buildings and Information Technology Nexus
- Case-based learning and machine intelligence
- Internet of Things
- Virtual and Augmented Reality Modeling
- Web-based modeling
- New techniques and algorithms
- Scripts and hacks for modelers
- Non-traditional programming tools
- HVAC component modeling and load analysis
- Parametric modeling for early design
- Modeling for Resilient Buildings
- Learning from Nature
- High Performance and Zero Carbon Building design modeling
- Benchmarking and goals setting
- Opportunity assessments: Climate, Resources, and Program
Multiple Systems Modeling
- Buildings to Grid Interoperability
- The Community of Buildings / Urban scale modeling
- Renewable energy technologies
- Real time modeling for building operation
- New Technology for Recording Data
- Data mining for fault detection and diagnosis
Health, Wellness and Comfort
- Thermal comfort
- Occupant behavior
- Lighting and daylighting
- CFD and Airflow modeling
Energy Performance and System Simulation
- Model calibration strategies
- Model validation and quality assurance
- Weather and climate data
- Performance Gap: Real versus Modeled
- Auditing and retrofit strategies
- Operational improvements
Codes, Standards and Compliance
- Modeling for evolving codes and standards
- Architecture 2030 and high performance building design
- LEED, WELL, Green Globes, Living Building Challenge, BREEAM
- Modeling for compliance
- Compliance Metrics for High Performance and Net Zero Buildings
Abstracts (250 words or less) are due October 23, 2017. If accepted, papers are due February 2, 2018 and will undergo a double-blind review. The conference papers will be a maximum of eight pages in length.
To submit a conference paper abstract please click here: https://www.conftool.net/bpacs2018/
Venue & Dates
The conference will take place at the Hilton Chicago. The conference will be Wednesday – Friday, September 26-28. Pre-conference workshops will be held September 24-25.
Travel and accommodation information will be posted soon.
Once available, the registration portal will be posted here.
Krishnan Gowri, Chair
Annie Marston, Vice Chair
Rahul Athalye, Scientific Committee Chair
Jon Cohen (CEC representative)